Put simply, no one wants to deal with a DUI arrest. Even in the “best case” scenario, DUI arrests can be traumatic, inconvenient, and embarrassing, with potentially wide-ranging consequences. At worst, they can completely derail a person’s life, with potential sentences up to and including jail time.In addition, the sooner everyone
If you or a loved one are currently facing a DUI arrest, there are probably many things running through your head. You are very likely feeling overwhelmed and at a loss for what to do next.
If there is one piece of essential advice for you to see right now, it is this: the best thing you can do for yourself in this situation is to find and contact a DUI attorney. You may not think that something like a DUI arrest calls for an attorney. Unfortunately, that is an incredibly common misconception that has led many people in your situation to worsen their ordeal and their ultimate fate considerably.
Why do I need to hire an experienced DUI attorney for a DUI arrest in Washington State?
- If contacted quickly enough, an attorney can keep you from incriminating yourself. In a DUI arrest situation, as a general rule, the arresting officers are not on your side. If they believe they can collar you with a DUI arrest, they will. If you think fast and contact a DUI attorney immediately after or even during the arrest process, the attorney can tell you exactly what to say and how to act. They know the ways in which people most frequently slip up and accidentally make things harder for themselves, and can help you avoid that same fate.
In addition, the sooner everyone involved knows that you have legal representation, the less likely they are to try to get you to incriminate yourself, or to try to take advantage of your lack of insider information.
- An attorney will be able to accurately assess your situation and give you the best possible advice. Getting an experienced DUI attorney involved as soon as possible also gives you the best chance of understanding your situation and finding the best possible path forward.
As a layperson, you very likely do not understand the larger picture of what happens after a DUI arrest. It is a DUI attorney’s job to understand that process, apply what they know about the process to your case, and translate that information to you. They will also have the experience, skill, and knowledge to craft a strategy for what to do moving forward, which is the single most valuable resource for improving the ultimate outcome of your case.
- Self-represented defendants tend to do poorly in DUI Court. It is technically allowed for people to represent themselves in DUI cases, up to and including during courtroom proceedings. However, as is the case in most legal settings, it is really never a good idea to represent yourself. If you are a layperson, you probably have little to no understanding of courtroom proceedings, which will severely hinder your ability to make a case for yourself. Judges in DUI Court usually have very little patience for self-represented defendants, putting them at an immediate disadvantage.
- The potential penalties are very serious. If you are facing DUI charges in Tacoma, Washington, the potential penalties for your charges can be incredibly steep. Washington imposes mandatory minimum sentences for DUI charges. This means that if you are found guilty, the Court must impose all of the statutory baseline penalties and may opt to impose further penalties—which they often do. This applies to both first-time and multiple DUI offenses. Potential penalties and mandatory minimums are higher when your DUI occurred with a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of 0.15% or higher, and/or when you commit multiple offenses within a 7-year period. Judges in Tacoma tend to be quite harsh on DUI defendants, especially if they are high-BAC and/or multiple offenders.
Washington State DUI penalties can include:
- Jail time (sometimes up to 1 year or higher)
- Driver’s license suspension, sometimes for a length of years
- Installation of an Ignition Interlock Device in your car
- Fines and fees, often up to $5,000
- Mandatory alcohol/drug education, treatment, or victim impact panels
Don’t leave yourself vulnerable to these potentially life-altering penalties, all because you made one bad mistake. Instead, let an attorney be your advocate and guide through the process.
If you or a loved one need an experienced, tenacious DUI attorney in Tacoma, Washington, Attorney Jordan Foster is ready to help. Attorney Foster has extensive experience with Tacoma DUI cases, and brings a wide range of skills and a wide network of resources to the table for his clients. Let him help you fight these charges and move on with your life. Call today for a free consultation on your case.